Mathematical Practice Standards
Inside Mathematics illuminates the mathematical practice standards with video excerpts of mathematics lessons. Click the individual standards below to see instances of the practice standards in classroom lessons. Although the practices are presented here individually, it’s important to keep in mind that the practices can, and should, be evident together in a lesson. See the Mentors of Mathematical Practice for a holistic view of the practices together.
See also our new resources incorporating social and emotional learning competencies in the mathematics classroom and how they support the mathematical practices.
- Make sense of problems & persevere in solving them
- Reason abstractly & quantitatively
- Construct viable arguments & critique the reasoning of others
- Model with mathematics
- Use appropriate tools strategically
- Attend to precision
- Look for & make use of structure
- Look for & express regularity in repeated reasoning
This alignment was developed in collaboration with educators from the Silicon Valley Mathematics Initiative and the Charles A. Dana Center at the University of Texas at Austin.